What is swimmer’s ear?
Swimmer’s Ear has a formal name, Otitis Externa which can be medically diagnosed by doctors. This condition is often called Swimmer’s Ear because one normally develops inflammation and itching in the inner ear via prolonged exposure to water. We are normally most exposed to water when swimming, hence the name.
Otitis Externa has a number of symptoms, some of which are:
- Ear pain, which can vary in intensity
- Itchiness in the ear canal
- Discharge from the ear
- Temporary hearing loss
Comprehensive and detailed information about Otitis Externa can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/otitis-externa/Pages/Introduction.aspx. We at Just Online stock a number of products that can help prevent Swimmer’s Ear, although one should inform one’s self about the causes and cures for this condition at the website above.
What can I do to help prevent Swimmer’s Ear?
One should try not to insert needless objects into one’s ear after swimming- such as cotton buds or fingers. For those who are consistent swimmers, investing in a swimmer’s cap or swimmer’s earplugs is recommended. We all invest in streamlined swimming shorts, costumes and goggles- it makes sense, then, for us to think about the safety of our ears when swimming.
What products does Just Online offer that aid in the prevention of Swimmer’s Ear?
Just Online offers a number of economic, yet quality options for the swimmer in need of protection. The various products we offer, having different specifics for various protection needs. Please keep on reading to find out which of our stocked products is best for you!
- Just Online (via Tiger Blue) provides a specialist plug for children’s smaller ear canals. Children are often prone to infection and inflammation of the ears from direct exposure to water from swimming. Children’s shorter ear canals allow for bacteria to get past the eardrum and into the middle ear more easily. Thus, it is very important for parents to protect their children’s ears. We at Just Online stock ‘Swim Plugz’ Children’s Swim Plugs that are small, soft and comfortable to use. (INSERT HYPERLINK HERE)
- ‘Swim Plugz’ also produces a larger adult set of plugs that we stock on Just Online. These Adult Swim Plugs (https://www.justonline.co.uk/product/swim-plugz-adult-swimming-earplugs-2-pairs/) are larger and slightly more robust than the children’s version. However, both products are pronged, for consistent traction in the ear; both products have non-strangulation cords to keep them from being lost.
- Just Online also stocks a multi-purpose plug that works to block out both water and noise: Mack’s Ear Seals, Dual Purpose Earplugs. (https://www.justonline.co.uk/product/macks-ear-seals-dual-purpose-noise-swimming-reusable-earplugs-snr27db/). These plugs have an NRR of 27 dB. Thus they are tailored towards those who wish to block out sound as well as water. Mack’s markets these plugs are dual purpose- they are effective as swimming plugs and as protective items for use at construction sites, shoots and other loud events. These plugs, like the two above products, are corded and pronged for easy ergonomic use. (https://www.justonline.co.uk/product/macks-ear-seals-dual-purpose-noise-swimming-reusable-earplugs-snr27db/).
Where can I find these products?